[x-posted to vegrecipes]
This is an adaptation of a recipe from the cookbook that came with our crockpot. When I made this the other day, my crockpot and I had a little argument, so I made it on the stove. That works too.
- 4C veggie broth
- 1C sliced mushrooms
- 2-3 sliced carrots
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, fine-chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, fine-chopped
- basil to taste (1 TBSP?)
- oregano to taste (1 TBSP?)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1C pinto beans (dry)
- 2C water
- 1 28oz can tomatos (chopped saves you effort - I get whole and cut them myself)
- 1 tin tomato paste (the original called for 4C tomato juice - but that won't fit in the crockpot! Go figure.)
- 1C pasta (I used rice pasta shells, whole wheat pasta would work well too)
- Add all ingredients, except pasta, to the crockpot.
- Cook on low for 4 hours - approximate. (Done when the beans are cooked.)
- Add pasta and cook for additional 20 min - approximate. (You're done when the pasta is cooked properly, which will vary depending on the pasta you use.)
The beans and pasta make this very filling. One bowl usually has me bursting.
I'm a bad kid and I don't pre-soak the pinto beans. I find that they are fine cooking in the crockpot in the time given for the soup itself. You'll need to pre-soak or adjust the cooking time if you change the beans.